Pregnancy is a wonderful time in the life of woman. It is a life changing event full of physical and emotional changes. Mood swings are one of the primary symptoms of pregnancy and occur commonly. From joy to irritation to weepy to stressed, the mood swings are normal and expected in the life of a would be mother. The mood swings would happen frequently and increase as the delivery date inches closer.
There are some commonly observed mood swings during pregnancy and are explained below.
The thoughts and mood swings are influenced by the release of hormones in the body. They alter the release of neurotransmitters from the brain leads to various changes in the body. Being unsure about pregnancy is pretty common and depressed views lasts for some time before being vanquished. If it extends for couple of days more, consult the doctors.
There is time when you will lose track of time and activity. You will keep on holding a bedsheet in hand while roaming across the house. This is the moment to relax and allow other people to take care of the household activities. Time to unwind and listen to some music.
Irritable and Angry Mode:
Even at rest, the amount of energy spent by a pregnant woman is same as that of an average male doing mountain climbing. shifting centre of gravity causing your spine to curve excessively in pregnancy also lends anger to one. So it is quite acceptable to be irritated by minor stuff and prepare to hit at someone. No issues, take a rest and let someone handle the household work.
Sudden Food Cravings:
At midnight, you might feel a craving for delicious or ice creams and it would be irritable if you don’t get it. It is what we call food cravings and that too sudden. It is fairly common for pregnant woman to have a sudden impulse for a particular kind of delicacy and your loved ones would be too happy to get it.
What Causes Mood Swings During Pregnancy?
Mood swings are a result of constant hormonal changes in the body and these hormonal mood swings during pregnancy can take you on an emotional roller-coaster at any time of the day. .
Following are some reasons for mood swings.
- 1. Surge in hormonal level:One of the primary causes of mood swings during pregnancy is the surge in levels of the female hormones (responsible for female reproductive cycle) Progestrone and Oestrogen. These hormonal changes affect the neurotransmitters (the chemicals that carry messages) in your brain. When there is an increase or decrease in the amount of these neurotransmitters, it directly affects how you emote. You may become anxious, grumpy, or irritable all of a sudden.
- Stress related changes:Worrying about the future and your baby’s health or delivery could also cause a fluctuation in your hormones and can in turnaffect your mood.
- Common health changes: There are other common changes that your body may experience during pregnancy as a result of which you could also observe changes in your mood. Common issues associated with pregnancy such as heartburn, frequent urinationand fatiguecould be such changes.
- Emotional and physical stress:Women, during this time, can become particularly sensitive and even the smallest thing may tick them off. Emotional stressis another huge factor responsible for mood swings. Similarly, physical stress and too much activity are equally responsible. Metabolism, too, can impact your mood.
Tips to manage mood swings:
- Get plenty of sleep
- Get regular physical activity
- Eat well
- Go for a walk
- Don’t be so hard on yourself
- Try pregnancy yoga class or meditation
- Get a massage-
Hope this post will give you enough information about mood swings during pregnancy. Have a happy and safe pregnancy!
Mrs. Sarah Hussain is one of the brilliant doctors in the field of Gynaecology and would help expectant mothers savour the enjoyment of pregnancy with aplomb. Please contact her today!